Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I recently posted an advertisement on Craigslist for a running partner. Before that, I made a posting to find like minded friends within the area. I had no interesting results with the exception of a seemingly nice introverted boy called Adam, whom I added to my MySpace.

Basically what I am desiring is a partner to experience 10 year old outdoors therapy with on a regular basis. I recently inherited a vintage Japanese racing bike. I want someone to ride bikes with around neighborhoods and parks, as well as someone to confide random observations to one other with. Maybe even chase an ice cream truck if it just beguiles our fancy. Just a companion to have when other friends are not always around.. It seems like a refreshing enough thought - at least in my mind.
The replies to my running post were of the typical gay men fashion that dulled my senses in the same way passing by an Abercrombie & Fitch store does to me - coming to face with and breathing in the trite, pungent aroma of lack of individuality.

An example of one reply:
Hey whats up? I wanna go to this crazy marathon n chicago and need to train your plan sounds great and hope i can join you. My name is dustin and live in royal oak 2. By the high school. u should get a pic with this email if not i can send more. 24yr wguy n fit shape. cool goffy guy here. give me a call if i can run with you. would like the challenge and inspiration. 248***-**** Peace -dustin

I have always held a fast and steady rule - I can only run with 24 year olds that didn't cheat on their remedial reading homework.

Now after receiving more of these e-mails of same or lesser quality, then conceptualizing the idea at hand some more I concluded it's more logical to save myself the time and embarrassment to seek people over the Internet in this style. It would of been more practical to put an advertisement in a Facebook note to those I already am acquainted with in some minimal kind of way. However, there comes these spontaneous inclinations I have on occasions where I want to be more outwardly convivial with society, but then I get slapped back into reality when I can only find guys that withhold diametrically opposing views of narcissistic attitudes than my own. I don't mind being judged so much, but not by gay men of the caliber that would likely be prone to mistaking my awkwardness as stupidity. I could imagine it would be difficult to recognise clairvoyance in ones character when one is blinded and consumed by brands that eradicate almost all displays of singulaity.
I know what it especially feels like to feel socially inept on a first impression; it would so much more consoling to come across a likewise understanding with someone I can sympathise with in respect to such ways of being.... Perhaps I just need to leave the suburbs altogether to attain more of that.
Speaking opportunely of which:
Last night, a friend of a friend of whom I met at the end of my stay in Prague contacted me and offered a room for rent at a nice happening area in Chicago at a reasonable rate. I would have to inform her by the end of the month if I would be willing to accept the offer, sign the lease, and move in on July 31'st. I am considering this.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

=)
I think that is my issue with meeting guys in general. Not only the fact that I'm introverted but the fact that 90% of people out there are exactly like you described (side note: I am really enjoying your blog music as I type this)
I suppose one of the things I sometimes think about is that while I love my true good friends and appreciate them, I miss that excitement that comes with getting to know other people - their little quirks and habits and such. I haven't really connected with a new friend since highschool. I've been trying to be more open to things like that and replying to a craigslist ad is definitely a bit unlike me. But you seem like a very nice bloke and I am glad I did.
-Adam