Sunday, December 28, 2008


Friday night I totally compensated for a lack of a Christmas by spending the evening with three of my good friends. We had a extravagant dinner with expensive wine and exchanged gifts. I got a whole new winter wardrobe. I felt exceptionally blessed in the non-religious sense.

Saturday night and the entire day today, I watched nothing but true crime dramas on MSNBC. Stories of abduction, kidnapping, and rape. Sometimes I can get very absorbed in criminology cases. I broadened my search of crime oddities on the Internet and stumbled upon the story of politician Bud Dwyer, who chose to commit suicide at a public news conference in 1987, rather than face corruption charges he was then being indited with.

This is a rather graphic video of the news conference suicide, but nonetheless I still found it fascinating to watch in a way I can't quite elucidate on. It just seems beyond reality...


There were also other videos on this site of actual beheadings. There was one of six Russian soldiers that were captured and graphically decapitated by 19 Chechen Mujahideen terrorists through a long, revolting display of sequences. I couldn't get through the entire video because it was just too intense. Although the explicitness made me want to better understand these stories that often only make the brief headline news. To comprehend that slayings like these are routine in some parts of the world. I empathise very deeply sometimes. I feel arbitrarily lucky.
I feel selfish for admitting that without being able to offer anything other than a fortuitous sentiment .
In lighter news, I have brown hair again.


1 comments:

Will C said...

The first time I watched the video it didn't bother me at all. The second time I watched it on the other hand it kind of got to me. It's weird to watch someone die on video.